Once I completed the bird and flower stitching, I made a paper template to determine where I should make the 8" cut for a no binding finish. The paper template allows you to "fussy cut" the quilt front.
The inside border frame represents the desired 7" finished block size. The outside frame is 8" wide and high. I planned the 8" square to allow for a wider seam allowance (1/3" seam vs 1/4"). I also accounted for a little shrinkage from quilting.
Once all the layers were cut the same size, I placed the top and backing right sides together and placed the two layers of batting under them. Below you can see the back of the top pinned to the other 3 layers. Ready to stitch.
That echo/outline stitch stabilizes the fabric (although not necessary on a 7x7 square ;). I then slowly stitched a McTavish type filler in the negative space. (See Wendy Sheppard's nifty little S's here). I really love that I can densely quilt a piece and not have a nasty thread buildup when using 50wt Aurifil thread. If you haven't tried it you really should!
I'm linking up to some great parties - check out my sidebar and hop around for some Quilty Fun.